Monday, January 2, 2012

Minty Blue Minimalism #3 (2011/06/05)

First published on MySpace blog - 05/06/11
In which our hero addresses the fact that MySpace will insist on moving the goalposts every five minutes.

Here's the latest version of this ever-evolving script, reflecting any changes made hereabouts in the last few weeks. The best and least painful way to install this script is to go to my userstyles.org page and click on 'install' - You've already installed Stylish, I take it? If you installed an earlier version of my little baby (and I know a couple of dozen of you have!), then click on 'update' instead. I have now thoroughly and successfully tested this on both Firefox 4 and Google Chrome.



@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document domain(www.myspace.com)
{
div.commentContainer {
font-size:12px!important;
color:#000000!important;
}
article.bestOfTheFixModule,
article.RecommendationsModule,
article.bulletinsModule,
article.manageMyStuffModule,
article.myVisitorsModule,
article.bandArtistDashboardModule,
article.upcomingShowsModule,
article.friendSpaceModule,
ul.streamViews,
ul.footertools,
div.labeled_ad,
ad_container medrec2,
div#tkn_leaderboard,
article.googleAdSenseModule,
div.module.module3.columnModule1.even.RecommendationsModule.draggable,
li.checkerLightBG,
div.alertsRequests,
div.moduleFooter,
div.gracefulinjection,
div.module.module4.columnModule1.even.RecommendationsModule.draggable {
display: none !important;
}
div.module.module1.columnModule0.odd.blogListModule,
div.module.module1.columnModule0.odd.SingleBlogModule {
width:810px!important;
font-size:12px!important;
}
article.post-body {
width:700px!important;
font-size:12px!important;
}
div.toolbar,
.blogEntry,
.post-title {
width:700px!important;
}
div.userActions {
float:right!important;
}
}

@-moz-document url-prefix('http://www.myspace.com/home')
{

[----Include one or other of the following 2 options---------------]
[----either a plain colour background (delete the____underscores)--]
[----or a bitmap picture from a library source---------------------]
[----Replace the picture URL with one of your own------------------]

___.userHome {
background-color:#aaddff!important;
}
.userHome {
background: url("http://ohiok.com/img/water/6.gif")!important;
}

article.NotificationsModule {
background-color:#eeeeff!important;
border-radius:0px!important;
width: 130px !important;
float:right!important;
}
span.indicator,
li.notification Online {
background-color:#ffffff!important;
color:#ddddee!important;
}
span.userCircleIconDarkWhite,
span.birthdayCircleIconDarkWhite,
span.mailCircleIconDarkWhite,
li.recent {
display: none !important;
}
li.secondLast {
padding-bottom:6px!important;
border-bottom:1px!important;
color:#ffffff!important;
}
.container {
background-color:#ffffff!important;
}
.layout,
.streamTabs {
background: url("http://ohiok.com/img/water/6.gif")!important;
}
.superShareContainer {
background-color:#bbddff!important;
width: 715px !important;
}
.horizontalMenu {
background-color:#ffffff!important;
width: 800px !important;
}
.dropdownFriendCategories {
background-color:#ddeeff!important;
float:right!important;
}
.activityStreamModule {
background-color:#ddeeff!important;
width: 800px !important;
font-size:12px!important;
color:#000000!important;
}
.commentContainer {
background-color:#bbddff!important;
font-size:12px!important;
color:#000000!important;
}
.homeSwitch,
span.new {
display: none !important;
}
}



STOP PRESS... WIDENING the original remit of this script (amongst other things)...
I've now included a few new lines in the 'domain' section to specifically pimp up the BLOGS pages. Having emptied out yet another batch of unsolicited adverts, we figured wouldn't it be nice if we could make the actual blogs themselves wider on the page, instead of being squeezed up into a narrow column in the middle of the page?

Once again, thanks to Pfeiffer Stylez for revealing unto me the very existence of all this stuff... and to C.C., Seb and Mlle Kitty for the support, encouragement and inspiration!

"COMMENTS FROM LAST TIME"

Mlle Kitty La Morte... I love it! Another frontier I must explore (tho the other one, you explored for me!). I've got the maps and my amoral compass... BTW, I didn't do anything but "inspire" you with my fickely, fuckely 1.0 , ha ha!

PP... You would have to change your homepage back to the 'old' layout for this STYLISH to work. I did notice you are using the 'new' homepage. I had to turn the scripts off while I was over there, or it looked VERY messy indeed! I did in fact try a STYLISH for the new homepage version a while back (see the pics in the MySpace 'Stylish Projects' photo album for evidence), but it's untested. I think I still have it somewhere. (You could certainly do with the script to get rid of that big black bar at the bottom of the screen though!) xoxoxox
MSC Page... Nice, and kudos to Pfeif, hopefully he will pop in on this blog post.

Seb... It is so cool. I'm just messing with it at the moment but it so good to see some color on my page and the straight, clean line of the stream. Excellent! I do have a question - how do I change the background color on the bar that says you have XXX notifications? Also - and this is a total no big, if i want to add an excluded module, say "my Visitors:, I know I can do that, is there a way I can scootch it over just a couple of pix so it doesn't overlap the far right of my stream comments? As I said, no big...

PP... Script for colouring the bar in question is:-
div.sysMessage {background-color:#CCCCCC!important;}
I left mine the original colour, so I didn't include that. C.C.'s had some success at reintroducing some of the missing modules. She has narrowed the stream container back to something like it was originally, to make room. You could probably make some of the right-hand column modules a bit narrower than they were, as I've done with the notifications box. As I mentioned on the 'userscripts.org' page, I have been VERY ruthless about what I've taken away. One man's useless is another man's vitally important. Handy Hint:- You can TEMPORARILY disable a line of script by typing a few "WRONG" characters in front of it (I usually use ____underscores). That way you can see what it does, with & without. If you want to replace any of the hidden modules, disable the appropriate "display;none!important;" line.
Seb... No, ruthless is good. In truth, I'll probably go back to ruthless in the end. One annoying thing MS has done is that they load certain text fields as objects, and shadows them so it limits the range of colors you can use. Oh well, onwards and upwards! I just LOVE how customizable it is! I can see myself sinking hours into it experimenting - and the great thing is what you learn by doing this arms you with arguments for next time you want to take up cudgels against MySpace because you actually LEARN how your homepage works...
PP... Another valid point - yes, I suppose it does, doesn't it...? Oh yeah, I should have mentioned... You can, of course, use your own picture in the background, by substituting your own image URL where appropriate. The picture will 'tile' automatically. I think small 'pattern' bitmaps work best, but you can experiment with something larger. There are dozens of sites that provide free ready-made backgrounds like this, or you make your own in a paint prog and post it to your Photobucket.
CC... I love it, Minty! You rock. I have, of course as before, varied it a bit to suit me, but that is what makes your script so brilliant... It's easy to play with! YAY! The New Music Stream homepage is going to be a bitch, though. I wonder if an entire stream can be eliminated....
PP... @C.C. - Short answer, yes it can, no problem. Though I don't WHAT purpose the homepage would serve in that instance. Once upon a time, on a previous occasion when they messed about with the homepage (pre- v2.0), I found a way of not using it at all, but interacting via the profile itself. But now the stream on the profile doesn't include comments, so I don't know what I'd do
CC... Oh I mean I would like to eliminate the music stream not the main activity stream
PP... @C.C. - I'm sure, when that one hits these shores, that I'll be able to work out what the module's called. But at the moment I don't have the new one (in any flavour) to play with. I removed the right-hand comments module from mine when I was trying it out a couple of weeks ago, so it should be possible to do the same with the music list. Perhaps I'll have to pretend I'm living in New Zealand for an afternoon?
Seb...
It's outstanding! I'm using it now and it is great. If someone could come up with one that does the same thing for the blog pages, except keeps our selected color themes, well, that would be astonishing!
PP... I do like a challenge, Seb. What would you like it to do? Clean out the right-hand column and make the central area wider? At the moment, I'm not sure if I could write one that would work on ALL blog pages (I'll have to determine the correct URL-prefix - but you know me, I'll look into it!). It should be reasonably easy to apply one to your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment