Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Minty Blue Minimalism #6 (2011/09/28)

First published on MySpace blog - 28/09/11

In which our intrepid hero continues to keep on top of all the inexplicable changes being made to the MySpace homepage...


No sooner do we find a solution to what we scientists call the MySpace Ugliness Quandary... then they go and do something else silly! This week, it's the turn of the "SuperShareContainer" and the Notifications module to get needlessly changed for the worse. Take a look at the screenshot above, of my homepage as it looks without any of its customary STYLISHness. Not exactly a Salute To Symmetry, is it now? And don't you just love that ugly great black bar that still lurks at the bottom of the screen?

I'd sort of settled into a snug state of smug with my existing Stylish script. You know the one, right? You've been reading these blogs? You've installed it via USERSTYLES.ORG and then customized it to suit your own devious means? Yeah, that one!

Well, this latest batch of changes found me reappraising the page layout in a big way. The Notifications Module has once again been stripped down to a subtle "Online Friends" indicator and nothing else. The Share Container in its unused state is now a narrow little form. It only expands when you start to type into it. It also tended to run below the Profile Pic, leaving a lot of useless white space above (which STAYS white no matter what you try to do with your colour pallet). So I took the radical step of removing the Profile Pic! Whaaaaat??? Ah, but wait! Now I've used that profile pic as the background fill, so all is not lost! Admittedly some pics will make better 'tiles' than others!

(NB: the published script at USERSTYLES.ORG doesn't yet reflect these latest changes)



Remember, there really no need to have all that other stuff IN YER FACE and on the page. That's what menus are for. It's all still accessible, but tidied away in neat cupboards until you need it. The code for all this now reads as so:-


@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document domain(www.myspace.com)
{
div.commentContainer {
font-size:12px!important;
color:#000000!important;
}
div.layout.group {
background: transparent!important;
}
ul.streamViews,
ul.footertools,
article.RecommendationsModule,
div.labeled_ad,
ad_container.medrec2,
ad_container.adspecial1,
div#tkn_leaderboard,
article.googleAdSenseModule,
div.module.module3.columnModule1.even.RecommendationsModule.draggable,
div.linksColumn,
article#module-2.module.module2.columnModule0.odd.InfoGraphicModule,
div.infographic,
div.splashMedia,
div.footershim,
div.musicColumn,
div.splashSignUp,
article#module-3.module.module3.columnModule0.odd.SignUpV2Module.draggable,
div.curatorsColumn,
div.topicsColumn,
section#col2_0.column.column0.columnPath2_0.columnDepth1.firstColumn.lastColumn.allowDrop,
li.checkerLightBG,
div.alertsRequests,
div.moduleFooter,
div.gracefulinjection,
div.module.module4.columnModule1.even.RecommendationsModule.draggable {
display:none!important;
}
div.userActions {
float:right!important;
}
.msProfileTextLink {
font-weight:bold!important;
}
}

@-moz-document url-prefix('http://www.myspace.com/home')
{
.userHome {
background: url("____INSERT YOUR IMAGE URL HERE____")!important;
}
article.bestOfTheFixModule,
article.bulletinsModule,
article.manageMyStuffModule,
article.myVisitorsModule,
article.bandArtistDashboardModule,
article.upcomingShowsModule,
article.friendSpaceModule,
.streamTabs {
display:none!important;
}
div.sysMessage {
background-color:#bbddff!important;
}
article.NotificationsModule {
background-color:#ddeeff!important;
border-radius:0px!important;
width: 120px !important;
float:right!important;
}
span.indicator {
color:#bbddff!important;
background-color:#ffffff!important;
}
li.notification.Mail,
li.notification.Birthdays.secondLast,
li.notification.Events,
span.MSIcon.userCircleIconDarkWhite,
span.MSIcon.birthdayCircleIconDarkWhite,
span.MSIcon.mailCircleIconDarkWhite,
span.MSIcon.eventCircleIconDarkWhite {
display: none !important;
}
.superShareContainer {
background-color:#ffffff!important;
width:818px!important;
}
.submitBtn.glue.large.primary {
background-color:#bbddff!important;
border-color:#ffffff!important;
color:#444444!important;
text-shadow:none!important;
}
.profilePicContainer {
display: none !important;
}
.dropdownFriendCategories {
background-color:#bbddff!important;
float:right!important;
}
.container {
background: transparent!important;
}
.horizontalMenu {
background-color:#ffffff!important;
width: 815px !important;
}
.activityStreamModule {
background-color:#ddeeff!important;
width:815px!important;
font-size:12px!important;
color:#000000!important;
}
.commentContainer {
background-color:#bbddff!important;
font-size:12px!important;
color:#000000!important;
}
.msProfileLink.miniProfile {
padding-right:2px!important;
padding-left:2px!important;
background:transparent!important;
}
.homeSwitch,
.span.new,
li.recent,
div.glue-dialog.FBMP.large,
div.glue-overlay,
article.module.module6.columnModule2.odd.AdContainerModule.draggable,
article#module-6.module.module1.columnModule0.odd.adFbPromoModule.draggable {
display:none!important;
}
}


"COMMENTS FROM LAST TIME"

CC... Hahaha Minty, you are a mad genius! Tiling the whole background with your profile pic. Haha... The SuperShare container does look awful now, doesn't it? And it's less FUNctional... I like typing in my moods... I was always coming up with different syllogisms or other modes of word construction (& sometimes deconstruction). I like having my top friends profile pictures on my homepage, though. You are all so cute! Which means I would have to narrow the stream by 100 pixels & add other stuff in that second column to balance out the top friends pics which I might do... & of course, I would change the colors of everything to green & cream... I'm a green kinda gal! :) <3333
Plus, how DARE they make my profile pic so small.... Gosh! I love me! I can't get enough of me! I want to see me in 2000 x 3000 px. Hahaha
PP... As I point out, I think it would work better with some profile pics than others! Yep, no 'moods', no smileys... no scope for syllogisms, neologisms or even glassprisms. If you're really clever (and I KNOW you are!), you should be able to cut 'n' paste just the new changes into your existing script (thus retaining all your old sizes and colours). That's how I started it anyway... then I tidied up after myself once I'd established that it was working. Look forward to seeing some screen shots of your lovely green & cream things! <3 By the way, I had to post those screen shots on Flickr, because the MySpace photo manager is also auf der fritz.
CC... Figures!
PP... The first time, I uploaded pictures directly to my "Stylish Projects" album. As you would expect. The upload process appeared to work, but then the Photo Manager didn't display any thumbnails, only empty spaces. Same thing happened when I used the "Upload New Picture" from within the blog editor. To get those pictures into the "Stylish Projects" album, I had to first upload the pictures to a newly-created "temp" folder, name 'em and tag 'em, and THEN "move" them to the proper folder from there. By then though, I'd already posted the pics to my Flickr account and embedded them in the blog using HTML. But it seems to working today. Oh... Did I mention I've removed every trace of CELEBRITY GUFF from the log-in screen too? (Using a combination of STYLISH and a few custom filters for ADBLOCK PLUS)
CC... Minty, you are brilliant!!! I haven't worked on mine yet, but when I do, I promise to upload pics! I have tons of pics to upload from my vacation as well, but with Photo Albums acting so strangely I haven't.
PP... I don't care what anyone else claims - It is self-evident that once you wipe out ALL the memory-hogging adverts and flashy stuff, then MySpace pages load MUCH faster...

No comments:

Post a Comment